Being a motorcyclist in New York City can come with its pros and cons. Driving a motorcycle may allow you to take advantage of routes that are not as viable for larger vehicles, but it also means that you could end up in a dangerous situation while stuck in congested areas. Though traffic can put all drivers at risk of an accident, you likely know you face a higher chance of injury while on a motorcycle.
As a result, you want to remain a vigilant and safe motorcyclist. This means that you may need to brush up on your safety tips every now and then.
Staying safe in the city
Riding a motorcycle in the city can differ from more rural areas. A lot more activity commonly takes place on and near roadways and sidewalks, which can make everything seem a bit harried. As a motorcyclist, you may have some multitasking to do in efforts to stay safe, and some safety measures to take include the following:
- Keep a finger or two on the brake lever and a foot close to the brake pedal in case you need to stop suddenly.
- Watch other drivers’ mirrors and heads to see if they are checking for vehicles before changing lanes. This can give you a heads up about their intentions even if they do not signal.
- Ride in a lower gear to give yourself the opportunity to move forward quickly if another vehicle comes into your space.
- Stay to the left or right of the vehicle in front of you while in stopped or slow-moving traffic to avoid potentially getting pinned if the driver behind you does not stop in time.
- Continually scan your surroundings to check for potential hazards.
- Look for escape routes to utilize in the event that you need to get out of harm’s way.
- Wear bright colors and attire that help other drivers notice you.
Numerous other safety tips could also help increase your chances of arriving at your destination safely.
If you do suffer injuries
Unfortunately, try as you might to remain safe while on congested city streets, you could easily end up the victim of a car accident. If you suffer serious injuries due to the negligent or reckless actions of another driver, you may have reason to pursue compensation for damages. Contacting a personal injury attorney may allow you to gain reliable information regarding your legal rights and options.