There are different categories of benefits that injured workers can receive under workers’ compensation benefits. Injured workers should be familiar with what these benefits are and what they may be able to do for them during a time of crisis following a workplace injury.
Workers’ compensation benefits for injured workers in New York
There are several different categories of workers’ compensation benefits that may be able to help injured workers through the challenges they face following a workplace injury including:
- Medical expenses for work-related injuries and illnesses;
- Benefits for repetitive stress injuries such as carpal tunnel or tendonitis;
- Lost wages benefits for injured workers who miss work while at home recovering from a workplace injury or illness;
- Funeral costs if the worker is killed in a fatal workplace accident;
- Ongoing medical treatment if such treatment is needed such as physical therapy; and
- Disability benefits if the worker is injured severely enough that they are unable to return to work.
These benefits can help injured workers focus on healing and allow them to worry less about meeting their daily needs. In many circumstances, they may be a lifeline for workers who have been injured on the job. They may also help family members who have lost a loved one in a workplace accident or due to a workplace illness.
In addition, they may be able to help injured workers rehabilitate as they work on returning to their job if they are able to. For that reason, injured workers and their families should be familiar with workers’ compensation benefits and how they can help.